Action cameras have become increasingly popular over the years for capturing high-quality photos and videos in extreme conditions. However, when it comes to low-light environments or night-time shots, action cameras may struggle to capture clear images. This is where action camera flashlights come in handy.
Action camera flashlights provide additional lighting to help capture clear images in low-light conditions. In this article, we will introduce the top 5 action camera flashlights that you can consider for capturing images in different situations. These flashlights have been chosen based on their features, compatibility with different action camera models, and customer reviews.
What is an Action Camera Flashlight?
An action camera flashlight is a type of accessory that can be attached to an action camera to provide additional lighting in low-light situations. It is typically a small, lightweight and portable device that can be mounted onto the camera or used separately as a handheld flashlight.
The main purpose of an action camera flashlight is to provide brighter and more even lighting in dimly lit environments, such as during nighttime photography, cave exploration, or underwater videography. These flashlights usually have a high lumen output and adjustable brightness levels to suit different lighting needs. Some action camera flashlights also have features such as a red light mode for preserving night vision or a strobe mode for signaling or emergency situations.
Action camera flashlights are compatible with various types of action cameras and can be connected via a mounting bracket or an adapter. They can be powered by rechargeable batteries, replaceable batteries or through a USB connection. Overall, an action camera flashlight is a useful accessory for any action camera user who wants to capture clear and well-lit footage in low-light conditions.
What are the Features of a Good Action Camera Flashlight?
When it comes to action camera flashlights, there are several key features to look for to ensure you’re getting a good one. Here are some of the most important features to consider:
- Brightness: One of the most important features of an action camera flashlight is its brightness. Look for a flashlight that has a high lumen count so that it can provide plenty of light even in dark conditions.
- Durability: Action cameras are designed to withstand a lot of wear and tear, and your flashlight should be no different. Look for a flashlight that is made from durable materials and can withstand bumps, drops, and water.
- Size and Weight: A good action camera flashlight should be compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry with you wherever you go. It should also be easy to mount onto your camera or other gear.
- Battery Life: Since action cameras are often used in remote locations, a good flashlight should have a long battery life. Look for a flashlight that can last for several hours on a single charge or that can be easily swapped out for a fresh battery.
- Mounting Options: Finally, look for a flashlight that offers a variety of mounting options. This will allow you to attach the flashlight to your camera, helmet, or other gear in a way that works best for your needs.
What are the Types of Action Cameras Flashlights Available on the Market Today?
There are several types of action camera flashlights available on the market today. Here are some of the most common types:
- Built-in Flash: Many action cameras come with a built-in flash that is designed to provide additional light when you’re taking photos or videos in low-light conditions. This type of flash is usually small and compact, and is built directly into the camera itself.
- External Flash: An external flash is a separate unit that is designed to attach to your action camera. These can be more powerful than built-in flashes and can often be adjusted to provide the right amount of light for your needs.
- LED Lights: LED lights are a popular choice for action camera flashlights. They are small and lightweight, and can often be mounted directly onto your camera or other gear. LED lights also tend to be more energy efficient than other types of lights, which means they can provide longer battery life.
- Strobe Lights: Strobe lights are designed to provide a burst of light that can freeze fast-moving action. These are often used in extreme sports photography and can be mounted onto your camera or other gear.
- Dive Lights: If you’re planning on doing any underwater photography, a dive light may be the best option. These are designed to provide bright, even light in the depths of the ocean or other bodies of water. Dive lights are often waterproof and can be mounted onto your camera or other gear.
How to Setup Your New Action Camera
Setting up a new action camera can seem daunting, but it’s actually quite simple. Here are the general steps to follow:
- Charge the battery: Most action cameras come with a rechargeable battery, so the first step is to charge it fully. This can take anywhere from 1-4 hours depending on the camera model.
- Install the memory card: Most action cameras require a microSD card to store your photos and videos. Insert the card into the slot provided on the camera.
- Turn on the camera: Press and hold the power button until the camera turns on. You should see a screen or LED light indicating that the camera is on.
- Set up the camera: Follow the on-screen prompts to set up the camera. This usually involves selecting your language, setting the date and time, and choosing your video and photo resolution settings.
- Mount the camera: Depending on the type of activity you’re doing, you may need to mount the camera on a helmet, chest strap, or tripod. Follow the instructions provided with your camera to attach it securely.
- Test the camera: Before you start filming, it’s a good idea to test the camera to make sure everything is working properly. Take a few test shots or short videos to check the quality and make sure the camera is stable.
- Start recording: Once you’re ready, press the record button to start recording. Most action cameras have a red light or another indicator to let you know that you’re recording.
That’s it! With these simple steps, you’ll be able to set up and start using your new action camera in no time.
The Benefits of an Action Camera Flashlight
An action camera flashlight can provide several benefits for users, particularly those who enjoy outdoor activities or engage in sports that require filming in low-light conditions. Here are some of the benefits of an action camera flashlight:
- Improved Visibility: An action camera flashlight can provide additional lighting to help improve visibility when filming in low-light or dark environments. This can help ensure that your footage is clear and well-lit, making it easier to see and share with others.
- Better Quality Footage: With improved lighting, an action camera flashlight can help improve the overall quality of your footage. This can make your videos look more professional and engaging, which can be particularly important for those who use their action camera for business or marketing purposes.
- Increased Safety: When filming in low-light conditions, it can be difficult to see potential hazards or obstacles. An action camera flashlight can help increase safety by providing additional lighting to help you see your surroundings more clearly.
- Versatility: Action camera flashlights are typically compact and easy to attach to your camera or other gear, making them versatile accessories that can be used in a variety of settings. Whether you’re hiking, camping, or participating in extreme sports, an action camera flashlight can help you capture better footage.
Overall, an action camera flashlight can be a valuable accessory for anyone who uses their camera in low-light conditions or wants to improve the quality of their footage.
10 Best Action Camera Flashlights in 2023
Here are the best 10 Action Camera Flashlights in 2023 based on different ratings and reviews from reliable sources
- Neewer Underwater LED Video Light – This high-performance video light is waterproof and offers a wide-angle illumination with three brightness settings.
- LitraTorch 2.0 – This compact and versatile flashlight features multiple mounting options and offers up to 800 lumens of brightness.
- Aputure Amaran AL-M9 – This lightweight and portable video light is designed to be mounted on your action camera, and offers adjustable brightness and color temperature.
- GoPro Light Mod – This powerful light attachment is compatible with GoPro cameras and offers up to 200 lumens of brightness, perfect for low-light conditions.
- Ulanzi L1 Pro – This compact video light is waterproof and features multiple lighting modes, including flash and SOS.
- Andoer SL-109 – This budget-friendly video light offers adjustable brightness and can be mounted on a variety of devices, including action cameras.
- Kshioe Underwater Video Light – This waterproof video light features four brightness settings and can be used up to a depth of 40 meters.
- YI Action Camera Light – This lightweight and portable video light is designed to be used with YI action cameras and offers adjustable brightness and a built-in rechargeable battery.
- Hohem Waterproof LED Video Light – This compact and durable video light is waterproof and offers adjustable brightness and color temperature.
- Dazzne D50 – This powerful video light offers up to 1500 lumens of brightness and can be used for a wide range of outdoor activities, including diving and camping.
Remember to always check the compatibility of the flashlight with your action camera before making a purchase.
A regular flashlight is a portable device that produces light using a battery-powered bulb or LED. It is typically used for general lighting purposes and is designed to be held in the hand or mounted on a surface. It can be used in a variety of settings, such as camping, hiking, or during a power outage.
On the other hand, an action camera flashlight is specifically designed to be used with action cameras. It is a small, lightweight device that attaches to an action camera, providing additional light for filming in low-light conditions. Action camera flashlights typically have a more focused beam and higher brightness than regular flashlights, allowing for better visibility and sharper footage in dark environments. They may also have adjustable brightness settings and be waterproof, shockproof, or both, to withstand the rugged environments where action cameras are often used.
Action camera flashlights typically have a brightness of around 100 to 200 lumens. However, the exact brightness can vary depending on the specific model and manufacturer of the camera. In general, action camera flashlights are designed to provide sufficient illumination for close-range shots in low-light conditions, but they are not intended to be used as primary light sources for longer distances or in extremely dark environments.
Yes, many action camera flashlights are rechargeable. Some cameras have a built-in rechargeable battery, while others use replaceable batteries that can be charged externally. The charging method can vary depending on the camera and the type of battery it uses, but many action cameras can be charged via USB cable, which is a convenient and easy way to recharge the camera’s battery. It’s always a good idea to check the specific camera’s manual or specifications to determine the charging method and battery life.
Whether or not an action camera flashlight can be used underwater depends on the specific camera and its design. Some action cameras are designed to be waterproof and can be used for underwater photography and videography, including their built-in flashlight. However, even if the camera is waterproof, the flashlight may not be designed for underwater use.
If the camera’s flashlight is not specifically designed for use underwater, using it underwater could potentially damage the flashlight or camera. Additionally, the light may not work as effectively underwater due to the way light behaves in water.
Therefore, it’s important to check the specifications of the specific camera and flashlight to determine whether or not they are suitable for underwater use. If you plan to use an action camera flashlight underwater, it’s also a good idea to follow any manufacturer instructions or guidelines for underwater use to avoid damaging the camera or flashlight.
The battery life of an action camera flashlight can vary depending on several factors such as the brightness setting, type of battery used, and how frequently the flashlight is used. Generally, the battery life of an action camera flashlight can range from a few minutes to several hours, depending on these factors.
Most action camera flashlights use rechargeable lithium-ion batteries, which typically last for several hours on a single charge. However, the exact battery life can vary depending on the specific camera and flashlight. In some cases, using a higher brightness setting can reduce the battery life, while using a lower brightness setting can extend the battery life.
To maximize the battery life of an action camera flashlight, it’s a good idea to use the flashlight only when necessary and to adjust the brightness setting to the minimum level needed for the shot. Additionally, it’s a good idea to keep the camera and flashlight batteries charged and to carry spare batteries or a portable charger when shooting for extended periods.
No, not all flashlights are compatible with action cameras. You will need to look for a flashlight that is specifically designed to attach to your camera, and that is compatible with the mounting system on your camera.
Yes, you can use an action camera flashlight for a variety of other purposes, such as camping, hiking, or other outdoor activities. However, you may need to purchase additional mounting systems or accessories to use it in these other settings.
In conclusion, there are many great action camera flashlights on the market that can help you capture high-quality images and videos in low-light conditions. No matter which action camera flashlight you choose, make sure to consider factors such as brightness, battery life, waterproof rating, size and weight, mounting options, beam angle and focus, and durability to ensure you get the best lighting for your needs.